829 Southdrive

829 Southdrive

A New Jersey state of mind



Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How creative are You?




The Tall Oaks Yacht Club in Forked River, NJ
is looking for a new burgee design.  They have
petitioned their members to get creative and 
send in their entries by August 1st.  I have a
few ideas in mind, and only members can
participate, but I thought it would be fun if I
asked my readers (both of them) to join in on
the fun and send me their ideas via email.  Of
course they cannot be submitted as entries
(unless you print out the membership form and
send your $40 to Paul along with the entry). 
I will, however, post any designs sent back to
me (like anyone would actually do it) and they
would of course be open for comments.  Just
 take a look at the club's site, get a feel for the 
club and the kind of folks that we are.  Then,
download the instructions and template.  When
you've finished your masterpiece, scan it and 
email it to me.  If you actually have time to do
something as frivolous as this.




By the way, the burgee at the top is from some
other low-key boat club that's been around
for a few years.

8 comments:

  1. Shall we ponder that gentleman's tee shirt. No need to it is perfectly correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! When I first heard about TOYC I thought it was a pretty cool club. But now they are having a burgee contest? It's part of the downhill slippery slope. Before you know what's happened they will start taking themselves too seriously and they will want to build a trophy room and a member's library and be strutting about in white uniforms and then they will have a 4 figure initiation fee and be talking about building a clubhouse in Rhode Island with formal gardens and a carriage house and a commodore's suite.... It all start with a burgee. Don't do it. I know. I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a member of two clubs with burgees that can be flown upside down.
    http://www.mdyc.org/
    http://www.windjammers-chesapeake.org/bin/main.php

    Probably want to avoid that.

    Steve in Baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  4. duh... how about some tall oaks? Sorry, you'd expect that from a botanist. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is what you guy ought to be hoisting up the mast! Run it by the judges and lets see what they think, and its only $16.99! Cheap!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kardsunlimited/3623056042/

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it didn't say Eagles. Come on Doug, draw something up!

    ReplyDelete