829 Southdrive

829 Southdrive

A New Jersey state of mind



Saturday, March 24, 2012

Thirty-Five Sweet Goodbyes




Although not as impressive a wine as the chardonnay, it's still
worth a ponder.  I finally noticed there's no vintage on the label,
which says to me that the wine's a cuvee or blend.  Hey, they're
taking what they have and making the best of it, and in my opinion
they're doing a great job.





My daughter's friend's dad laid some venison medallions on me 
from a hunt last fall.  She doesn't like Bambi, so I grilled a 
chicken-apple sausage for her.  The venison marinated in soy, 
rice vinegar, garlic, onions,  ShaoXing wine, and sweet chile
sauce.  Super lean and tender.  The Annandale cab went nicely
with the grilled medallions of New Jersey roadside attractions.

3 comments:

  1. I think that is says 'California', rather than 'Napa' or 'Sonoma' or 'La Brea', for example, is another tip that it's a blend.

    If the vintner knows what he's about, a blend can be nicer than a more snooty vintage.

    Well, as long as he doesn't blend in tutti fruity gumdrops, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh ha, Here is my recipe for wild deer...venison. Wrap it in tin foil and place it just above the muffler of your car. Drive around for about a hour or so and return home.

    Remove the deliciously cooked venison from the tin foil. Discard the venison...deer, and eat the tin foil. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked the chicken (or whatever it was that I cooked for you last - things are still a little fuzzy), you would have loved the Venison.

    Muffler Venison? Did you ever hear of dishwasher-steamed salmon?

    ReplyDelete