829 Southdrive

829 Southdrive

A New Jersey state of mind



Sunday, August 15, 2010

It was the best of times,


This very possibly was the most blissful, most happy time of my life. 
Eight years old and Crystal Blue Persuasion was my favorite song
ever.  I can't say it's changed, although several great songs have
come down the pike since then. It reminds me of summer, arguably
my favorite season, and that summer was no different than the
others.  My mom, my brother and I spent every summer
"down the shore",  at my Grandmothers' houses, both
 fortunately located on the water at
different ends of the Metedeconk River, in Bricktown,
N.J.  Dad would come down Friday night, race Saturday
and Sunday, and go back to Jenkintown on Sunday night,
back to the bank every Monday morning.

Days were spent at sailing class at the modest Metedeconk River
Yacht Club, swimming at the Cedarcroft Club Beach, or at the
end of the dock at 829 South Drive.  We messed about in
boats for sure, and there was never nothing to do.  Neither
of those houses are in the family any more,
and I never appreciated them as much as I do now,
when there's not a trace of either.  Don't ever, ever take
anything in life for granted. 

3 comments:

  1. Really looking forward to listening to this, but my visiting grand daughters are blissfully sleeping only a few feet away.... later, Gator....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal Blue Persuasion is a classic summer song. Not appreciating it is proof of a tin ear and complete lack of character.

    Darryl and Ruth : )

    ReplyDelete